ESAC E-Science Workshop '10
ESAC, Villafranca del Castillo (near Madrid), Spain
11-12 March 2010
The European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) is the ESA centre that specialises in astronomy and space science. It is located in Villanueva de la Cañada, close to Madrid in Spain, and hosts the science operation centres for most of ESA astronomy and planetary missions together with their scientific archives.
The ESAC E-Science Workshop is an event organized by the ESAC Computer Support Group, which belongs to the Science Operations Department of the European Space Agency , to introduce and spread state-of-the-art E-Science technologies among Scientists, and Astronomy Researchers specially. Experts from the industry, the academia and international scientific institutions will expose, share, and discuss the latest developments on the E-Science computing paradigm, with an special emphasis on its astronomical applications.
The deadline for registration was Saturday, 28th February
|March 11th || |
ESAC: B5 ROOM
| || |
| || |
|09:30 – 09:55 || |
|09:55 – 10:00 ||Welcome speech |
|10:00 – 10:45 || |
PTF, DeepSky & The Era of Synoptic Surveys (pdf) Peter Nugent, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
|10:45 – 11:30 || |
GPU-Clusters, Green Grid, Virtual Research Environments (pdf)
Harry Enke, Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam
|11:30 – 12:00 || |
|12:00 – 12:45 || |
Service Infrastructure for Science: HPC, Grids and Clouds. The DEISA Example (pdf)
Wolfgang Gentzsch, DEISA-2
|12:45 – 13:30 || |
A brief history of gLite - Past, present and future (pdf)
Maria Alandes Pradillo, CERN
|13:30 – 14:30 || |
|14:30 – 15:15 || |
Gaia and Data Processing (pdf) William O'Mullane, ESA
|15:15 – 15:45 || |
|15:45 – 16:30 || |
Clouds and Science: Opportunities and Obstacles (pdf)
Daniel S. Katz, University of Chicago
| || |
|March 12th || |
ESAC: B19 ROOM
| || |
|10:00 – 11:30 || |
Intel Tutorial (pdf)
- Intel Compilers: most common flags and run-time environment variables; OpenMP support and examples
- Intel Threading Tools: overview
|12:00 - 12:45 |
Intel Tutorial (pdf)
- Intel VTune performance analysis tool: overview
- Cluster Tools: Intel MPI: overview, benefits and switches
Getting to ESAC.
Getting to ESAC from Barajas Airport of Madrid
Approximate Time: 40 minutes in non-peak hours
Distance: 45 km
Madrid Barajas Airport is located 15 km North-East of the city and is linked to Madrid by the M-11 highway. The best option to reach ESAC from Madrid Airport is by car, a trip of 45 km, taking about 40 minutes in non-peak hours (avoid such trip between 18:00 and 20:00). Information about transport to and from Madrid can be found here . In addition, there is further information about the Transport Information System of Madrid. There are no hotels near the site, but visitors can either stay in Madrid , in San Lorenzo de El Escorial , or in Majadahonda/Las Rozas. The following information indicates the way to ESAC, illustrated by a set of detailed clickable maps below.
1. Exit Madrid Barajas Airport and follow signs Madrid and M-40 in the direction of Zaragoza and Feria de Madrid. You are on the M-11 going toward the M-40.
2. Exit the M-11 highway to the right onto the M-40 Norte at the junction indicating M-40 A-1 E-5 Burgos and A-6 A Coruna.
3. Continue on the M-40 for about 23 km.
4. Take exit 41 to the right toward M-503 Majadahonda and Villanueva de la Canada.
5. Keep right onto M-503 towards Villanueva de la Canada. Exit (exit number 9) onto ramp indicating Villanueva de la Canada.
6. Take the next two roundabouts indicating M-503 Villanueva de la Canada.
7. Finally, exit right on M-503 to Villafranca del Castillo (exit 18), enter the roundabout and follow signs to ESA.
Getting to ESAC from Madrid City CentreFollow the signs to the A-6 highway in the direction of Villalba. Exit the A-6 highway at Junction 11 onto the M-40 highway towards Toledo, Talavera, A-4, A-5. Continue along the M-40 for approximately 4 km.
Exit the M-40 highway at Junction 41 onto the M-503 towards M-503, Majadahonda. Continue on the M-503 for approximately 5 km. Exit the M-503 highway at Junction 9 (ramp) towards Boadilla/Villanueva de la Cañada. Although you have left the highway you are still on the M-503. Follow indications to Villanueva de la Cañada in the first roundabout Go straight-ahead also at the second roundabout. You are still on the M-503. Exit right on M-503 to Villafranca del Castillo (exit 18), enter the roundabout and turn left following signs to ESA. After about 2 km you will reach ESAC.